TURNER-L Archives

Archiver > TURNER > 2012-05 > 1337801651

From: "Gail R. Blancett" <>
Subject: Re: [TURNER] William Turner, RWS from Albemarle Co. VA
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 15:34:11 -0400

Judith,

Some questions regarding William Turner (Rev. War Soldier). You state
that he was born in England and that you have traced him back to
Albemarle Co. VA.

Are you referring to the William Turner of Pension Application S38446,
soldier who was first pensioned in Albemarle Co. VA, in 1818 later
applied to have his pension in June 1834 in Madison Co. KY, and
subsequently moved to Todd Co. KY where he died in Nov. 1849?

Originally pensioned in Albemarle Co. VA in 1818, he later applied on
July 3, 1820 he said he was born Feb. 1756 but didn't say where he was
born. He stated that at the time, his oldest son living with him was
Alexander Turner about 20 years old and Samuel Turner who would be 18
"next Christmas."

In 1834 when he requested his pension be transferred to Madison Co., KY,
he stated he had moved from Albemarle Co. VA because his remaining
children were moving to KY. He stated that some of his children lived
in Tennessee and he would possibly move there. In 1834, he was living
with son-in-law Pleasant Martin.

His pension applications never say where he was born and the 1850
Mortality Schedule for Todd Co. KY lists his age as 98, widowed, born
VA. He died of Bronchitis. His occupation was listed as Farmer but it
also had "R.S." next to that. The name immediately above him was for
another 90+ year old gentleman who also had that same designation "R.S."
next to his occupation. I suspect that almost certainly was a
designation for Revolutionary War soldier and probably because they were
pensioned.

This same William Turner was on the 1840 Census of Todd Co. KY in the
column for pensioners and age listed 85.

There may have been some oral traditions about a birth in England. One
of the letters in the pension file was written in Aug 1895 from Medina,
TN by an A. R. Turner writing to the War Department requesting
information on William's service in which he says that William was his
grandfather. Then says "my father is dead. But he used to tell us his
father William Turner was born in England, etc." Yet he writes asking
the War department for information on when William Turner was born and
where and asking for names of William's parents names.

The full pension file gives some information about his
children--specifically sons named Samuel Turner and Alexander Turner and
son-in-law Pleasant Martin. They all seem to have still been living in
Albemarle Co. VA in 1824.

There is a deed on 24 January 1823 where William Turner sold 200 acres
of land to his sons Alexander and Samuel Turner and it stated the land
was on Hardware Creek in the upper end of the County of Albemarle. One
of the adjoining land owners mentioned in the deed was Barbary Martin.
On the 1830 Census of Albemarle Co. VA, Barbary Martin is enumerated
directly next to Pleasant Martin. Living in the household of Pleasant
Martin is a 70-80 year old male. This census is enumerated roughly
alphabetical though (all M's together) so that Pleasant Martin may not
actually be living directly next to Barbary Martin.

In 1850, Pleasant Martin, age 57 born VA was enumerated in Todd Co. KY
with wife Maria, age 53 born VA. One of the letters in the pension file
for William Turner was by a man who was writing wanting information from
the War Department on William's service and he claimed to be the
grandson of Pleasant and Mariah Turner Martin.

All this information is available in the full Rev. War Bounty and
Pension application files (NARA records but available on Ancestry.com's
database).

Gail

Judith K. Arthur wrote:

>Harlan,
>My Turners go back to your same family. I descend from John Turner, brother of your Thomas Turner. John married Rebecca Smith and then they had Cornelius Turner.
>I have recently discovered that Cornelius' daughter, Ann, did not marry Cornelius' half brother as we had been told in the genealogy world. I always thought that was strange. It seems that William C. Turner, was not a relative of Ann Turner, just someone with the same last name.
>I have traced his family to Albemarle County, VA. William C. Turner fought in the War of 1812 and his father, William Turner fought in the American Revolution and was from England.
>My major question is this. Have you been able to document the line of Thomas to John Turner/Sarah Williams? I only have the link from someone else, but no paperwork to prove it. I am hoping you have that.
>I would love to hear from you.
>Judith K. Arthur
>Maylene, Alabama

This thread: