TX-CIVIL-WAR-L Archives

Archiver > TX-CIVIL-WAR > 2004-12 > 1104260285

Subject: Roll Call: Gurley's Cavalry/30th Regiment/Philip SUTTON
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:58:05 EST

Would like to share info with anyone who has ancestors in/or information on
Edward J. Gurley's Cavalry, aka 30th Texas Cavalry Regiment.

My Philip D. SUTTON was known to have been in this regiment, and was taken
Prisoner of War until released July 28, 1865. However, I do not know WHERE or
WHEN he was taken prisoner.

The little info I have on this regiment indicates that: Gurley's Cavalry was
organized in mid 1862. Surrendered by General E. K. Smith, commanding
Trans-Mississippi Department, on May 26, 1865.

First Commander: Edward J. Gurley (Colonel); Field Officers: Nicolas W.
Battle (Lieutenant Colonel) John H. Davenport (Major)

Other information I have received from various sources include: The Company
Muster-in Roll, showed a P. D. Sutton, Private, age 30, in Capt. Samuel M.
Strayhorn's Co., 1st Regiment Texas Partisans. Muster Roll dated Camp McCulloch,
TX indicated he appears on the muster roll July 18, 1862. Says he joined for
duty and enrolled August 18, 186? at Camp Cullough, by E. J. Gurley, probably
because a notation shows that this Strayhorn's 1st. Reg. Texas Partisans later
became Company D, 30th Regiment, Texas Cavalry.

Additional references I have received is Company Muster Roll for Co. D, 30th
Reg't Texas Cavalry, muster for July & August 1863. Indicated P. D. Sutton
enlisted July 18, 186X at Georgetown, by Strayhorn, and was last paid through
June 30 by J. Abney. "Detailed as teamster July 20, 1863, and a list of names
that "Appears on a Roll of Prisoners of War, officers and men of the Confederate
States Army (undated) showing Phillip D. Sutton, Pvt., Co. D. Reg't 30 Tex
Cav., residence Travis County Texas.

Anyone with information on Philip SUTTON, or GURLEY's Cavalry, where served,
where prisoners were taken, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and Happy and Healty New Year to all.
Karen Gauny Crisalli

This thread: