TX-CollinCoGS-L Archives

Archiver > TX-CollinCoGS > 2008-02 > 1203637981

Subject: Re: [TX-COLLINCOGS] Genealogy Local History Texana Archives... GLHTA
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:53:01 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Hello Everyone!

The collection is wonderful! Even if you only have one hour to use just the books it is well worth it.

Now a word about one of the new greatest tools we now have available in the library. From the library only you can access for free one of the hottest new genealogy databases. It is call Footnote and is touted as The World's Archives. Currently they have 27,124,785 Million Documents and they are all Free to search. Yes I said "FREE". All of their indexes are open and free to search and you will find names of people, places and topics. For each search you conduct it will return a list of documents and a small image of the document with your search term highlighted.

Many of their documents have never seen before on the Web. How do they make this possible? They have a unique partnership with The National Archives. It gives people that do not have the ability to travel to access all original documents.

Footnote has the "Full" version of the Revolutionary War pensions of both soldiers and widows whereas Heritage Quest has the annotated version. One lady I assisted recently found 63 pages on her soldier. Seems there were disputes over the next of kin and who was due the pension.

The website below will tell you more about Footnote than I can post here.

http://www.footnote.com/about.php

You can access the databases at home as well for a fee. You can also sign up for a week free trial.

I encourage each of you to check it out.

Happy Genealogy Hunting!

Paula