TX-CollinCoGS-L Archives

Archiver > TX-CollinCoGS > 2010-03 > 1269223249

From: Janice Quick <>
Subject: [TX-COLLINCOGS] CCGS - Library Display Case Next Saturday - FolkCulture
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:00:49 -0500

Hello all,

CCGS is responsible for Haggard Library's display case for April. We will meet at 1:00 pm Saturday, March 27, downstairs in the Genealogy area to set up the display case. Everyone is invited to particpate. Our theme is "our ancestor's folk entertainment and culture."

Some items our members have talked about bringing include:

- Sacred Harp and Stamps Quartet songbooks, photos, etc. Many of our ancestors participated in "all-day singings."

- Mountain dulcimer

- Tatting shuttles (?). See wikipedia article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatting

- Old playing cards

- Story about violin-playing ancestor writing an alternative July 4th song.

The Library of Congress says folklife is ...

- the traditional songs we sing, listen, and dance to

- the way we decorate our world - patchwork quilts to plastic flamingoes in our yards

- childhood games and rhymes

- our handed-down recipes and everyday mealtime traditions

- crafts we create by hand

So think of the folk traditions and momentos that your ancestors passed down to you. And come join us next Saturday to honor your ancestors and decorate the display case!

Janice Quick