TX-JEWISH-L Archives

Archiver > TX-JEWISH > 2009-09 > 1253541478

From: "Kay Goldman" <>
Subject: Re: [TX-JEWISH] greetings
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 08:57:58 -0500

Mark,

In a quick search of the Texas Jewish Burials which was published in 1997 I see two Lohmans. Blanche born in 1891 and died in 12/27/1987, and Lee H.Lohman who was born in 1879 and died in 3/4/1950. This couple were Buried in Lockhart which is close to Austin--perhaps about 30 miles south west. There is a Bertha Steinfeld Meier born 1892 died in 8/13/1972 who is buried in Houston.

In the furture I might be able to get some information about Lockhart for you but not this week.

I suggest that you see if you can find obits for these people to see if they mention your family.

Kay Goldman

Kay Goldman PhD
979-845-7755
Program Coordinator
Graduate Advising Office
Department of Biology
Texas A&M University

>>> Mark Collins <> 09/19/2009 9:46 AM >>>
I'm Mark Collins, and I'm trying to find out about my jewish heritage.

My mom was Peggy Lohman, born to Byron Lohman and Dorothy Meier. Austin, TX.

Dorothy Meier's father's name was Austin. Byron Lohman's mother's name was
Claudia Lohman (don't know her maiden name).

I did some online research and believe that both Lohman and Meier are Jewish
names, but it's the web and I need someone with real knowledge.

Also, on my dad's side, my dad's mom's parents had surnames Griffen and
Meyer... so I think I have some Jewish on that side too.

They were from Michigan I believe, so that's not really relevant here.

I found out when I was 28 that I was Jewish. Apparently everyone around me
knew it, but I wasn't raised Jewish and I had no idea.

I would really apprecate some assistance. Also, maybe some resources so I
can learn more about Jewish culture and heritage.

Mark

--
Mark Collins, US2008113152
Personal and Character email: