TXBELL-L Archives

Archiver > TXBELL > 2001-08 > 0999183140

From: "medlincar" <>
Subject: [TXBELL] Hendrickson, John b ca 1825, MO, d 1884 Bell Co., TX
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:52:20 -0500

Dear Listers,
This is my first listing but I have been lurking in the background getting
a "feel" for this list! It seems GREAT! So here goes!

Am looking for any information on my 2nd great grand uncle, John
Hendrickson, b 1825 Jefferson Co., MO and died 1884 Bell Co., TX. His father
Richard died in Jefferson Co., MO 1844 and was apparently born between
1790-1800 in KY. I have been in touch with many of Richards descendants,but
none through this son John.

John married 1st:Rosina D. Bone
children: William b 1854 TX
Martha "Mattie" b 1857 TX
Thomas b 1859 TX
Jeff(erson) D(avis) b 1862 TX
Morgan [John] b 1864 TX

married 2nd:Jane Mills Karnes
children: Ralph E b 1869 TX
Pliney F b 1873 TX

We believe he came to TX in the early 1850's and would love to learn more
about the houses he built in Salado, as mentioned in the article below.
We also believe he was involved in building the Land Office Building in
Austin, which is a beautiful building! Several of his siblings were also
stone masons.

Also searching for James Franklin Hendrickson b 1832, Jefferson Co Mo.,d
1913 Frio Co., TX. Trying to make the connection between these two men.
Unfortunately we don't know if he ever lived in Bell Co. TX. [oophs, did
that overstep the boundaries of the list?]

Any information on these people or these houses in Salado would be greatly
appreciated.

Sincerely,
Carolyn Wilburn Medlin

>From Bell County History p 24
[John Hendrickson]Helped build a Suspension foot-bridge across Salado Creek
ca 3 Dec 1868

"Historic Salado homes" unknown source at Belton Library
John Hendrickson, a stone mason, built his home in 1871 on the north west
portion of Center Circle in Salado. He also worked on the Barton House and
the Armstrong-Adams House. He built 2 chimney's for Mrs. Ferguson, Gov.
James Ferguson's mother, for which he would take no payment. Later, when
James Ferguson was elected governor, he appointed John's son William as the
first inspector of buildings and masonry in the state.
the Hendrickson-Caseky home is listed on the National Registry.

This thread: