TXBEXAR-L Archives

Archiver > TXBEXAR > 2005-06 > 1118602581

From: "Ronnie Ellis" <>
Subject: Re: Rev. Gerald Mann
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:56:21 -0500

No, maybe uncle, grandfather or other relative. Per an article in the
Austin American-Statesman, May 29, 2005, on his retirement:

But the focus of his life, Mann insists, has been "reaching people like I
was before I was a Christian."

Mann grew up as the second of three children in West Columbia, a small
community south of Houston.

His family wasn't religious. Mann believed in God but never experienced the
divine. In 1958, at age 21, he attended an Easter Sunday service with his
new wife, Lois Wright Mann, a Baptist. Mann recalled a "hollering" preacher
and an altar call, and the next thing he knew he was standing in front of
the minister accepting Christ.

"People ask me how I became a believer." He grinned. "I say by abduction."

And then Mann felt the call to the ministry.

His father, Carey Freeman Mann Jr., a plumbing contractor, was not pleased.

Of the ministry, the senior Mann said, "They're all crooks and there ain't
no money in it."

"All he knew about religion were the Baptists (who) were very arrogant and
tried to impose on him," Gerald Mann said.

Mann knew he never wanted to be that kind of Christian.

He earned a master's degree in theology and a doctorate in philosophy from
the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth and served
churches around Texas. In 1973, he was preaching at First Baptist Church in
Hereford, a Panhandle cattle town, when Austin's University Baptist Church
search committee came calling.

rle