TXERATH-L Archives

Archiver > TXERATH > 2001-05 > 0990848521

From: "Eva Marie Rogers" <>
Subject: [ERATH] Leatherman's
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 22:42:01 -0500

Charles:
I am Eva Marie Rogers. My father is John Berry Rogers who married Elsie
Melton. I am their oldest child.

My ggrandmother Martha Leatherman Roberson married Hiram Roberson and one of
their children was Obedie and she married Simon "Pete" Melton. This is how
I am related to the Leatherman's. Martha is my ggrandmother. Hiram and
Martha lived in Hugo, Oklahoma. When they died within 3 months of each
other, Jim, the oldest child brought the other children to Erath county to
live with Martha's brother John Leatherman and his wife Mary.

My ggrandfather was Hiram Berry Rogers who married Nancy McGee. They had a
ranch at Chalk Mountain. The ranch house is just down the road past the
cemetery on the left. The house is not there anymore just the concrete base
for the windmill. Hass Rogers lived in a wood house. Let me back up. When
you leave Hwy 67 and turn down the county road to the cemetery it eventually
forks. If you go to the left you eventually go the cemetery. When you
turn left at the fork you use to see on the right a wood house that Great
Uncle Hass Rogers lived in. There is a trailer house there now. That was
also part of the ranch.

When Hiram died the brothers and sisters divided the property up and sold
all of it. If you have been down that road then you have an idea where the
ranch was.

Eva Leatherman married into the Leatherman family so she is related to me by
marriage. I don't know her but have heard of her.

I married Van Keith Hooper from Hico and we had one son. Toby Cole Hooper.
Hugh Hooper, my son's great grandfather was the U.S. Marshall in Hico for a
long time.
His grandfather was Grady Hooper and he was the Gulf Distributor there until
his death. He also had a Gulf Station on 281 in Hico.

I was born in Stephenville and lived here off and on until I was 7 years
old. Then we moved to Houston. I didnot return to Stephenville until about
11 years ago. I came here to live in a family home. I figure that we have
never met but you may have met a lot of my relatives.
I am related to the Stephens, Bouchers, Meltons, Leathermans, Stones,
Rogers, Laneys, Hollis, Elkins, Duncans, etc. Can't remember anymore names.
Both sides of my family came here to Erath County in the late 1800's.

Pete Laney, the Speaker of the House, here in Texas, is my 2nd cousin. A
Laney from Duffau married the oldest Rogers girl and then they moved to
Plainview.

Hope this answers your questions.

Eva Marie