TXERATH-L Archives

Archiver > TXERATH > 2003-09 > 1062968819

From: "Charles A. Wyly" <>
Subject: [ERATH] Fw: [Sc-Ir] Reward for SLOAN Family Bible (from Armagh)
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:06:59 -0700

Hi,
Any Sloans out there ?- check this out.
Charles Wyly

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Linda Merle" <>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:49:35 -0700
Subject: [Sc-Ir] Reward for SLOAN Family Bible (from Armagh)
Hi folks,

In this week's New England Historic Genealogical Society NEHGS eNews
Vol. 5, No. 34
Whole #130 September 5, 2003

Is this article:

Reward Offered for Sloan Family Bible

NEHGS trustee and genealogist Susan Sloan has for many years researched
the family of William Sloan, an Irish immigrant who served in the
Revolutionary War. William Sloan's pension application, filed in Norwich,
New York, reveals that he was born in County Armagh, Ireland, in 1752.
The application also makes reference to a family Bible that was left with
his son in Indiana, with whom he
had lived between 1812 and 1830. Mr. Sloan then returned to Chenango
County, New York, where he may have spent the rest of his life. Exactly
when, how, and where he died is a mystery. The identity of his children
with their dates and places of birth, remains a speculation.

Mrs. Sloan writes:

"What is known about William Sloan is that he was a Scotch Irish
immigrant who entered the country with his parents in 1754-55. He married
Sarah Cornish in Becket, Berkshire County, Massachusetts, in 1774. It
appears that he may have moved further north in Massachusetts and then
in and around Chenango County, New York, until 1812, when he went to
southern [?] Indiana, with his son. In 1830, he moved back to Norwich,
Chenango County, New York. The son may have moved back and forth between
southern Indiana and the countryside around Cincinnati.

As family Bibles are often considered cherished family possessions,
passed along in wills, I believe this very old Sloan family Bible may
still exist. I am offering a $1,000 reward to any individual or
institution who can deliver the
family Bible of William Sloan and Sarah Cornish, recording the names and
birthdates of their children, to me in Boston. In order to qualify for
the reward, I will need to inspect the original Bible and determine that
it is authentic based on my own research and that of another independent
genealogist, who has been working on this family for over forty years.
Neither copies, photographs, fiche, nor digital images will be accepted
in lieu of the original Bible."

Anyone with any questions about this reward or with information regarding
this Bible should contact:

Susan Sloan
388 Beacon Street
Boston, MA 02116
617-424-6310
Fax: 617-424-0265
email:

*To view the website of the New England Historic Genealogical Society,
please visit www.newenglandancestors.org/.

----

Linda Merle

This thread: