TXGREGG-L Archives

Archiver > TXGREGG > 2003-09 > 1063974786

From: "Elaine Martin" <>
Subject: [TXGregg] Tx Land Grant Database
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 07:33:06 -0500

This came via a newsletter I get. Thought it might be of interest.
Elaine

Texas Land Grant Database Placed Online

The General Land Office for state of Texas has placed its land grant database online. To search the database, please point your browsers at http://www.glo.state.tx.us/archives/landgrant.html

>From this page you can search the database, Texas' map collection, or get more information about genealogical research in Texas. The database has more than 420,000 records and is searchable by several variables including County, Original Grantee, Title Date, and Patent Date.

The Land Grant Database contains a listing of all original land grants that have been issued an abstract number by the Texas General Land Office. Original land grants are defined as grants of land issued by the governments of Texas: Spain, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, and the State of Texas.

The Land Grant Database is not a complete listing of all land grant documents or records relating to a specific individual that may be on file in the GLO. It does not contain records of invalid Mexican land grants, cancelled or rejected grants, or documents from the Agency Special Collection.

The easiest way to determine if an individual has a land grant listed in the database is to simply type that person's name into the Original Grantee bar, then click the Search key. For example, a search for "Elias Spray" under original grantee found one entry in Montague county -- a grant of 640 acres originally patented on 26 June 1855 to Elias Spray, deceased.

This database does not contain information on the subsequent subdivision of this land. Record of subsequent sale, subdivision, etc., is a matter of county record.

This thread: