TXLIMEST-L Archives

Archiver > TXLIMEST > 2003-05 > 1051805540

From: "Jan Lindley" <>
Subject: Re: [TXLIMEST] John Webb family
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:15:16 -0700

Debra---I replied to your first message and then found the second. So it
looks like there is a connection between our families. I have a LOT of ties
to Kosse and Limestone Co. and to Bremond and Robertson Co. Several lines
of my family settled in that area in the mid-to-late 1800's. They include
the Bryants, Browns, Sheltons, Kindreds, Wylies, Polks, Graves, O'Neals,
Rays, Gorems, Clarks, Scruggs, Prideaux, Curry, Lewis, Malones, Cobbs,
Vaughans, and Sheppards (just to name a few).

When you visit the area you might also want to visit the Eutaw Cem. just out
of Kosse (I think to the east). I'm including below a quote from "A History
of Limestone County" by Ray A. Walter: "Eutaw, located two miles east of
present day Kosse, was the most important town in southern Limestone County
before the entry of the railroad.
Origin of the name has been somewhat of a mystery. According to one
legend, an early settler had a wife named Eutaw and the town was named in
her honor. Another legend is that many early settlers were from Greene
County, Alabama, and the town was named to honor their former county-seat,
Eutaw, Alabama.
One of the first families to locate in the area was Thomas Allen Polk,
born in 1810 in South Carolina. After his marriage to Harriett Elizabeth
Crockett, they moved to Tennessee, and decided to join their fortune with
the Republic of Texas. Selling all but seven slaves before leaving
Tennessee, they used the money to purchase cattle and land. Thomas A. Polk
died in 1855 and was one of the first persons to be buried in the Eutaw
Cemetery.
Harriett Elizabeth Polk continued to live in the double log cabin on the
hill and reared her family of five girls. Her home was on the Springfield
Road, and for a time was the stopping point for stage coaches. She served
meals and often gave lodgings to travelers. Her nearest neighbors were
George Gentry and Charles Welch."

According to the above, it looks like Thomas Polk and Harriet Crockett
married in SC then moved to TN and then to TX. So maybe we need to look in
SC for their marriage records. I'm going to go to the LDS site and see if I
can determine the relationships between your David and my Harriet---it
sounds more as if they might have been siblings or she, perhaps more likely,
was his aunt as she died in 1875 (buried at Eutaw Cem.).

The marriage of Addison Bryant and Emma Crockett Polk is listed in Vol. A,
pg. 19 of the Limestone Co. Marriage Records. Accoding to a copy of the
index of this that I have, they were married in 1874. According to my other
records, James Rueben Bryant and Laura Virginia Polk (Emma's sister) were
married in 1871.

Well, guess I'd better close for now. Hope some of this may help and hope
to hear from you again soon.

Jan