TXSHELBY-L Archives

Archiver > TXSHELBY > 2006-04 > 1144633422

From: "Debra LaMel " <>
Subject: RE: [Shelby County Texas Museum] Poisoned Wedding/Brittain
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 20:43:42 -0500

I most certainly would like to know as well what you have about the poison
wedding supper.

My 3rd grandfather James Michum (census spelling) lived in Shelby when this
incident occurred.

He was born bet 1784-1794 in NC. Believed to be Anson Co NC, just not
positive proof.
WE know from Land documents James arrived in TX ca March 2, 1836 a single
man as stated on his land documents. He also signed those himself James
Mitchum. (This surname has 36 variations will drive ya nuts!)
My mother's mother on my mom's birth records is listed as Mitchell instead
of Michum. (Her grandfather CW Vet William Daniel Michum b Sept 1846
Hamilton Dist Shelby Co TX changed the spelling from Mitchum to Michum)
By 1850 James had a wife named Eliza E age 33 b GA and 5 kids. One of whom
is believed to be a daughter Susan Ann White from his wife's previous
unknown marriage to a unknown White. (Source 4 of her children's death cert
say her maiden name was White instead of Mitchum as we had originally
thought from census records).

Levi Henderson Ashcraft (Wrote history of Reg/Mod War in Shelby Co TX) was a
witness on one of the land records for James Mitchum.
His Great Uncle Thomas Jennings Ashcraft married a woman named Elizabeth
Mitchum from Anson Co NC. Her father was Henry H Mitchum b abt 1804 either
Anson or Wake Co NC not sure Her mother we only know as Annie ?. His father
Henry H Mitchum b bet 1770-1780 moved from Wake to Anson co NC his wife is
unknown. Elder Henry also had a son named Jeremiah H Mitchum sometimes
Meacham.

This elder Henry H is Not the Henry H Meacham b 1766 who married Nancy Smith
he also had a son Henry H Meacham. At one time there where 5 Henry
Meacham/Mitchum 4 where Henry H and one was just Henry in Anson Co NC.

Took us a while to figure out which was which and who belonged to whom but
we did it!

This Henry who married Nancy is who I believe is the father of my James

Debra LaMel

Does anyone know where in NC Elder William Brittain was from or Born!