TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 1997-10 > 0877185624

From: E.Finch.< >
Subject: Re: SS Belgenland (was Ships)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 15:40:24 +0100

>Spotted your information on the Allemania of 1865. She was my
>forefathers ship. Thanks loads for the information.
>I am also looking for the information on the Belgenland of 1879. and
>the Nord Deutsch Lloyd from Bremen to Baltimore arrived l/22/1903.
>
>If you would be so kind to forward information or advise where I can
>locate I would appreciate very much.
>
>My wife's ancestors are from Norwich, England. Are you near? The name
>is Cory. Reference books show Bramerton Hall as the place of origin of
>the "modern" family.
>
>Thanks again.

Hi,

The "Belgenland" was built in 1878 by the Barrow Shipbuilding Co of
Barrow-in-Furness for the Belgian, Red Star Line. She was a 3692 gross ton
vessel, length 402.9ft x beam 40.2ft, one funnel, four masts, iron
construction, single screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation
for 150-1st class and 1,000-3rd class passengers.
Launched on 24/12/1878, she commenced her maiden voyage on 30/3/1879 from
Antwerp to Philadelphia. After one voyage, she was transferred on 20/5/1879
to the Antwerp - New York service, starting her last voyage on 6/7/1895. She
then commenced sailing for the American Line on 31/7/1895 from Philadelphia
to Liverpool, and her accommodation altered to accommodate 150-2nd and
1,000-3rd class passengers. On 17/10/1903 she started her last voyage for
American Line and in November of that year resumed sailing between Antwerp
and Philadelphia for Red Star Line, carrying 3rd class passengers only.
Sailed from Philadelphia for Antwerp on her last voyage on 7/12/1904 and was
sold to an Italian company who renamed her "Venere". Scrapped in 1906.

Nord. Deutsch Lloyd is an abbreviation for the German shipping company
Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd] which ran between Bremen and New
York (among other places).
They had no ship of that name.

I live about 10 miles North of Norwich, between Norwich and Cromer.
Bramerton Hall is East of Norwich, about half an hour drive from me. A small
world!!
regards
Ted

Ted Finch
Buxton, Norfolk, UK.
Researching:- Family names: FINCH, ING.
both in Buckinghamshire or Middlesex, England.

This thread: