TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 1997-11 > 0878584025

From: Sharon <>
Subject: Re: Port of HOBOKEN, NJ
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 11:07:05 -0800

wrote:

> I recently learned that many Dutch families enter the States through
> Hoboken, NJ. How long was Hoboken used as a port of entry and
> during what time period? How would I get passenger list info?

Hi Rose!

Hoboken was not a port of entry, but the site of the docking facilities
for many of the major passenger lines to New York. These ships docked at
Hoboken and transferred their steerage passengers onto ferries and to
Ellis Island, where they were processed. It is my understanding,
first-class passengers, and, maybe second-class passengers, were not sent
to Ellis Island, but processed at the landing facility in Hoboken.
The passenger lists of these ships are filed with ships arriving at the
port of New York.

Hope this helps!

Sharon