TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 1998-05 > 0895776022

From: "David Asprey" <>
Subject: [TSL] Fw: US>Brazil 1870s - actually 1868
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 19:40:22 +0100

First some apologies - within an hour of posting the message below, I
discovered an elusive website regarding American immigration into Brazil
and found that "Mr Curtis Durham Grady" arrived in 1868 from Texas (and
settled in Tutui, Sao Paulo State).

My request still stands, but is at least now more specific

David Asprey

----------
> From: David Asprey <>
> Subject: US>Brazil 1870s
> Date: 21 May 1998 18:25
>
> Some time after the Civil War my wife's family - Curtis GRADY, together
> with his wife Sarah (born Sarah Rush DURHAM) and about 8 children -
> emigrated from Georgia, or possibly one of the Carolinas to Brazil. In
Sao
> Paulo State they reestablished their plantations. We believe that this
> must have been in the period 1875-1880 and that they had either lost
their
> plantations in the CW, or that they had subsequently declined.
>
> Grateful for advice on availability of passenger information on US>Brazil
> sailings at that time, and the ports of embarkation that are most
likely.

> David Asprey

This thread: