TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 1999-02 > 0919839548

From: "Debbie Beavis" <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] HMS Avenger
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 06:59:08 -0000

Annoulitsa wrote:

>>My father, Benjamin William Foster, died "whilst at sea". I have a letter
that announces his death and an approximate date, but no ship name. My aunt
in England has sent me pictures of a place where the names are enscribed on
wall. It is in England and is an official memorial to those who died in the
war. I'll try to locate the letter and photos. This was also WWII.>>

I went to the Commonwealth War Graves site at and it
seems that this is probably your father:

Benjamin William Foster
Stoker 1st Class C/KX117339
HM Submarine Regent RN
Died Saturday 1 May 1943

There are only two men of this name on the whole database, the other was not

To find out more about the ship and perhaps more about the circumstances of
his death, try the on-line leaflets at the Public Record Office's website at Otherwise there are people at the Mariners mailing
list ( to suscribe send a message to ) who
will I am sure be pleased to help you with some more details.

Debbie Beavis

This thread: