TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2000-07 > 0964836778

From: joe <>
Subject: [TSL] Re: passenger and immigration booksre. ship "weser"
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 20:12:58 -0600

Hello Gwendalynn,
The book, Ships Passenger Lists Port of Galveston, Texas 1846-1871 says the Wiser (Weser) arrived in the 2nd quarter of 1858 in June. However, the book says that August Kareny arrived on the Wilhelm (not the Weser) so I'm a bit confused as to where you got your information.

August Karney age 24 workman from Lubead

arrived on the Wilhelm (2nd quarter 1858, possibly June, but a date is not given)

You should now seek out the microfilm of the passenger record listed above to verify which vessel your August arrived on. See the webpage below for more information. My guess is your source or the one I've looked at got things a bit mixed up. Check the microfilm.

You might also check with the Texas Seaport Museum Immigration Database 1846-1948 listed at the webpage. As well as the books listed near the bottom of the page.

Good luck with your search.

Regards,
Joe

--
Finding Passenger Arrival Records at the Port of Galveston, Texas
http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/galveston.html

Gwendalynn Dunn <> wrote:

> How can one find the date that they came into Texas if the books
> don't state the date except for the year? I am trying to find out the
> exact date that either August Karney(really Karnei) left Bremen or
> arrived in Galveston. I have narrowed it down to two dates that the
> Weser arrived in Galveston in 1858. Either arrived in Galveston on June
> 1,1858 or November 24,1858.
> The problem that I have is that August Karnei stated that the
> two brothers came over together .one of his grandchildren or such wrote
> down what he said and this record doesn't agree with the passenger and
> migration books. This is the reason that I am trying to find out if
> there is a way to check which sailing that August Karnei/Karney came
> on. I found Carl listed as Carney,W, on the ship "Iris",leaving Bremen
> Sept 24,1858, arriving in Galveston Dec. 7,1858.
> Did any of these ships stop off at Baltimore for any reason before
> heading to Texas? Could the ship "Weser" have run into problems and
> planned to go directly to Galveston, but instead have landed in
> Galveston for repairs and then August taking another ship called the
> "Wilhelm" on in to Galveston? August has another ship listed in another
> book as the "Wilhelm", 1858.

This thread: