TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2001-01 > 0978902069

From: Sue Swiggum< >
Subject: Re: [TSL] Cunard Line
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 17:14:29 -0400

At 12:43 PM 2001-01-07 -0800, Jan Griggs wrote:
>My relative, Jørgen Hage, left Kristiansand Harbour, was number 593, in
year 1903, Mars 20. Birth year was 1878, lived in Mandal and left Norway
heading to New York. Can anyone help me with his arrival date and
destination please? Also, would be interested to know if it was the
Carpathia vessel from the Cunard line. The paperwork from Digitalarkivet:
Emigrants from Kristiansand 1873-1903 does not identify the vessel.. only
the line, which is the Cunard Line.

Hi Jan,

The way to estimate a North American arrival date for Norwegians from
Christiania and Christiandsand is to add two weeks +/- to their departure
date. In your case, Jørgen would have departed on the Wilson Line
MONTEBELLO as that was the "feeder ship" which departed Christiania and
Christiandsand March 20th 1903, bound to Hull, England
Solem, Swiggum & Austheim - Emigration from Norway - SS&A
http://www.museumsnett.no/mka/ssa/

>From Hull, he would have taken the train to Liverpool to embark on the
Cunard line ship. I don't have the Liverpool departure date, but .. the
UMBRIA looks like it has to be the ship .. UMBRIA arrived at New York, NY
1903-04-05

Yes, Carpathia was a Cunard Line ship. Her maiden voyage was
Liverpool-Boston departing Liverpool 1903-05-05 and arriving Boston 1905-05-14

I can't help with the US passenger list .. so, good luck!

Sue
--
Sue & Gery Swiggum

This thread: