TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2001-03 > 0984890545

From: (Harry Dodsworth)
Subject: [TSL] Passenger list???
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:42:25 -0500 (EST)

,

Pat Conner <> asks: Are the passenger list complete,
e.g., if I have search the Baltimore Ship list for 1852 and find there
is only one Johann Ries 22, is he the only one that year?

Unfortunately Johann Ries may not be unique; some arrival lists may
have got lost, some the transcriber couldn't read, or read wrongly,
perhaps Johann didn't enter through Baltimore?

No group of records I've researched (or worked with) is completely
correct. I've had two ships recently that arrived in New York but
weren't recorded in the NYT arrivals column. As a test, two people
transcribed a section of the 1881 British Census; about eighty per
cent were essentially the same in the main details, name particularly
but some of the differences were considerable.

--
Harry Dodsworth Ottawa Ontario Canada