TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2001-05 > 0988821608

From: "Asprey, David" <>
Subject: RE: [TSL] Re: Born at Sea
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 17:41:42 +0100

on April 13, 2001 6:54 AM Colleen Carkeet Bill wrote

<<<<
> Family legend tells us that our g-grandfather's sister was born at sea on
> the
> way to California after rounding the "Horn". Her mother lists her in the
> 1860 San Francisco census as having been born in Chile in 1855. Would her
>
> birth be listed in Chile? I understand that there was an English
> settlement
> in Valparaiso in the mid-1800s. Was that a regular stop for ships after
> rounding Cape Horn? Or, could she have been born at sea and registered at
>
> the nearest port of call? I am looking for advice on how to find the ship
>
> they were on. The were married in Tasmania in May of 1854 and we think
> they
> sailed west. The baby's father, MORGAN CARKEEK was listed as a Master
> Mariner on the wedding certificate. We don't know if he was a passenger,
> master or crew.

It's not clear Colleen from your message whether Morgan Carkeek/Carkeet was
a British or American citizen.

I can confirm though, so far as the British are concerned, that there is no
entry for any Carkeek (or similar) birth in the GRO indexes of Consular or
Marine Births around the time you quote.

David Asprey

This thread: