TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2001-10 > 1002232608

From: Ron Mapplebeck <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] SS Letitia
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 22:56:48 +0100

Ian,

I presume you are wondering why you have different looking pictures?
Partly because Donaldson Line had three ships named LETITIA, although
the third of these, built in 1961 and the last to be built for this
famous company, can be disregarded.

>From the World Ship Society publication DONALDSON LINE by P.J. Telford,
the first LETITIA was built in 1912 and went aground, as a hospital
ship, in 1917 and was a total loss.

Your LETITIA, in service in 1927, was the second of the name completed
1925. After war service she was sold to the Ministry of Transport in
1946 and renamed EMPIRE BRENT; 1952 chartered by New Zealand government
and renamed CAPTAIN COOK. 29.4.1960 arrived at Inverkeithing (Scotland)
to be broken up.

I understand why you may be confused because at first glance these two
ships, built 13 years apart, do look quite similar. Your (1925) LETITIA
is different from the first vessel of the name in having kingposts (two
short masts, for want of a better description), forward (ahead) of the
foremast which itself is surrounded by a raised platform carrying
lifeboats. The sides of the superstructure are more enclosed than on the
first ship, including a row of stanchions along the after part of her
upper-deck.

I hope my feeble attempts at detailing differences between photos in the
book help you distinguish between the photos you hold (I suspect one or
two will be your ship, the other one or two being the 1912 version!)

Ron Mapplebeck
Middlesbrough, U.K.
---
Visit my TEESSHIPS website at: http://www.teesships.freeuk.com/index.htm