TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2001-10 > 1002392680

From: Sue Swiggum <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] Belgium Freighter
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 15:24:40 -0300

At 07:59 AM 2001-10-06 -0500, Carol Hunter wrote:
>It is said my father came over on a Belgium freighter. They left Antworp in
>March I believe. They arrived in St. John, New Brunswick the beginning of
>April, 1911.Must have been a very slow ship, as the journey apparently took
>17 days. Any idea what the name of this ship could be? Also, did these type
>of ships have passenger shiplists for the few immigrants that were on board?
>Will be going to archives shortly checking on various passenger lists.

Hello Carol,

Reel # Ship Name Departure Arrival
T-4823 MOUNT TEMPLE Antwerp, Belgium 1911-03-08 St. John, N.B. 1911-03-21
(CPR) Canadian Pacific Railway Co., Montreal / Victoria, Canada (not C.P.O.S.)
T-4824 MONTREAL Antwerp, Belgium 1911-03-22 St. John, N.B. 1911-04-03
(CPR) Canadian Pacific Railway Co., Montreal / Victoria, Canada (not C.P.O.S.)

These are the only ships Antwerp-Saint John departing in March 1911 which I
can find. If a "freighter" carried passengers, then that too should have
deposited a passenger list. Is it possible that "17 days" was the length
of his entire journey to his ultimate destination? Good chance that
MONTREAL is your ship, but if you check them both, note that they are on
two different reels.

The passenger manifest is on Microfilm at the National Archives of Canada
[NAC], in Ottawa. The Ships are placed on the reel, in order of arrival.
You can borrow this reel on an Inter Library Loan [ILL]. You can find the
details for this procedure at this NAC Genealogy Research URL
http://www.archives.ca/02/020202_e.html
You are also able to ILL from Ottawa, to libraries in the US, and outside
North America. These microfilms contain arrivals from ALL ports, they are
not indexed. The LDS do not currently have copies of the post-1900 Canadian
arrivals.

Good Luck,

Sue
--