TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2001-11 > 1004737969

From: Sue Swiggum <>
Subject: [TSL] The stuff of family legend
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 17:52:49 -0400

C-4538CIRCASSIAN Liverpool, England 1891-11-01 Quebec, Que. 1891-11-10 /
Montreal, Que. (MTL) Montreal Ocean Steamship Company (Allan Line) List
Number: 80; Captain Robert P. Moore

Parry, William 18
Parry, Maude 21
Parry, Thomas 16

No means. Came from Montreal (said they walked) 12 February 1892 trying to
make their way to St. John, New Brunswick where their parents will meet
them in April. ***ed over at No.1 Police Station first night - St.
George's Society took charge of them -
*****
These passenger lists were filmed in 1949, and I often see notations with
dates well into the 1940s where the passenger lists have been consulted for
"verification of landing" or for Naturalization etc. Less often I see
notes regarding emigrants who had recently arrived, but I do see them
indicating a death of an immigrant, or a note about an immigrant returning
to Britain or elsewhere ... most of those notations are quite interesting
like this one. These young people must have spent the winter in Montreal,
before "walking" back to Quebec City in Feb. 1892, a distance of just under
160 miles. (and we thought these lists were just created for genealogists
100+ years hence ... <grin>)

Sue
--
Sue & Gery Swiggum