TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2002-02 > 1013395024

From: (Sue Swiggum)
Subject: Empress of Britain 1906 (was) Re: [TSL]
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 22:37:20 -0400

At 10:56 AM 2002-02-10 -0400, Earl & Joyce Ray wrote:
>I am new to the list. I am trying to find the ships registry for The
>Empress of Britain about December 8, 1906. It docked at Sault St. Marie,
>Michigan. The name I am looking for is Thea Opsahl from Eidsvold Norway.
>There would also be the names of Julia or Julie Opsahl, Thora Opsahl,
>Christain Opsahl.
>
>Thank You
>Joyce Ray

Hello Joyce,

It was not possible for the large ocean going ships to pass through the
locks into the great lakes (in the 1860s some smaller sailing ships could)
Most would disembark their passengers at Quebec, except during the winter,
when the St. Lawrence was closed due to ice. The winter arrival port would
be east coast with a train to destination.

Reel # Ship Name Departure Arrival
T-507 EMPRESS OF BRITAIN Liverpool, England 1906-11-30 St. John, N.B.
1906-12-08
(CPR) Canadian Pacific Railway Co., Montreal / Victoria, Canada (not C.P.O.S.)

From the Digitalarkivet http://www.hist.uib.no/arkivverket/index-en.htm I
find a lot of Opsahl passengers from Eidsvold departing Christiania
1906-11-23 destined for North Dakota with agent Albert Raffel who
represented Canadian Pacific Line.

Opsahl, Julie26married
Opsahl, Thora 4
Opsahl, Kristian 2
Opsahl, Thea52widow
Opsahl, Kristine26unmarried
Opsahl, Peder16
Opsahl, Kristian11

These passengers were transmigrants via Hull, England (train to Liverpool
to embark on Empress of Britain) and had embarked at Christiania on the
Wilson Line feeder ship OSLO http://www.norwayheritage.com/ships/oslo.htm
Check the full 1906 sailing schedule on the SS&A
Solem, Swiggum & Austheim - Emigration from Norway - SS&A
http://www.norwayheritage.com/ships/index.asp

The passenger manifest is on Microfilm at the National Archives of Canada
[NAC], in Ottawa. The Ships are placed on the reel, in order of arrival.
You can borrow this reel on an Inter Library Loan [ILL]. You can find the
details for this procedure at this NAC Genealogy Research URL
http://www.archives.ca/02/020202_e.html
You are also able to ILL from Ottawa, to libraries in the US, and outside
North America. These microfilms contain arrivals from ALL ports, they are
not indexed. The LDS do not currently have copies of the post-1900 Canadian
arrivals.

Another and maybe better alternative, is to check the St. Albans
records (CAN-US border entry records) which will be a far richer record
than a Canadian passenger list for a US destined pasenger.

Have a look at Canada Records on TheShipsList website
http://www.theshipslist.com/Research/canadarecords.htm and scroll down to
United
States Immigration Records, and click on the link for the Prologue article
"By Way of Canada." You can then go to this site ....
http://homepage.mac.com/ms5/CATalog/index.html .... to find the LDS film
numbers for the same records.

Good Luck,

Sue