TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2002-02 > 1014030583

From: "Ted Finch" <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] Scottish Ship Building/Builders/Yards - the "Stanmore"
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:10:39 -0000

Hi Janelle,

There were at least four generations of George Smiths (shipowners), all
involved in operating the City Line which was founded in 1777 as George
Smith & Sons. It became City Line Ltd in 1890 and was sold to John Ellerman
in 1900 and became known as Ellerman City Line. Their main shipbuilders
appear to have been Barclay, Curle & Co and Chas.Connell & Co, both of
Glasgow.

Wm Denny & Bros, Dumbarton (shipbuilders) was originally Tullock & Denny and
was still operating in the 1890s. They didn't build the STANMORE, but may
have refitted her.

STANMORE
1,952 gross tons, length 302.4ft x beam 36.2ft, single screw, speed 9 knots.
Built 1871 by Palmer's Co, Newcastle as the JAMES C. STEVENSON for H. S.
Edwards, South Shields. 1879 Purchased by St. Andrews Shipping Co renamed
STANMORE. 1880 reboilered and owned by Wm. Johnston & Co. 1883 Sold to
Cambrian Steam Shipping Co, Liverpool (T. B. Williams). 1890 Owned by East &
West Shipping Co (W. Lamplough). 1894/95 scrapped.

This is the only STANMORE I can find for this date, but I have no mention of
her being used as an emigrant ship.

Hope this helps
Ted