TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2002-02 > 1014156580

Subject: [TSL] Powhattan
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:09:40 -0500

I am looking for a list of passengers who were aboard the Powhattan that
sank off the coast of New Jersey in 1854. The New York Daily Times
reports that the ship was filled with 200 German emigrants. The ship
left Havre around March 1, 1854 and sank in mid-April 1854. The ship had
stopped in Baltimore and was en route to New York when it encountered a
terrific storm (many ships were lost that week). I am a member of a
historical society in NJ that takes care of a church were many of the
doomed passengers are buried. There is a monument over the mass grave
but no names - I'd like to include their names.

I would appreciate ANY information that you might have on the Powhattan.
Thank you.

Joy

This thread: