TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2002-02 > 1014195575

From: "Ted Finch" <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] Steamships/ Elder Dempster Line
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:00:27 -0000

Christine,

There is a guide to tracing records of 20th century seamen at
http://www.mariners-L.freeserve.co.uk/
Click on United Kingdom / Merchant Navy. You should also read the article on
"Logs, agreements and crew lists" at the same site.

I suspect that your ship was the DOURO, here are details

CONGELLA / DOURO 1881
1,603 gross tons, length 255ft x beam 34.6ft, one funnel, two masts, single
screw, speed 9 knots. Built by Wm.Doxford & Sons, Sunderland, she was
completed in Dec.1881 as the CONGELLA for Bullard, King & Co. Sold to
Ellerman & Papayanni Line in 1910 and renamed DOURO. On 5th Sep.1915 she was
captured and sunk by gunfire in the Atlantic 79 miles SW x W from Bishop
Rock in position 48.55N 07.48W by the German submarine U.20 while en route
the Clyde to Port Natal with general cargo. [Merchant Fleets vol.16 by
Duncan Haws] [British Merchant Ships Sunk by U-Boats in the 1914-1918 War by
A. J. Tennent]

Hope this helps
Ted