TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2002-02 > 1014487180

From: Ron Mapplebeck <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] Steamships/ Elder Dempster Line
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 18:01:45 +0000

Christine,

I have received the following from Derek Bailey of the Elder Dempster
Pensioners' Association:
***
Regretably it is not possible to trace individual seamen through Elder
Dempster records which were largely destroyed by fire when the company's
Liverpool office was bombed in the war.
***
Ted Finch has given you details of a ship named DOURO torpedoed in WW1 -
is that the right period? If it was instead WW2, then Derek Bailey
suggests the Elder Dempster ship DARU, details as follows:

DARU 1927 - 1941

O.N. 149652
'D' Class
Steel single screw motorship, two decks & shelter deck.
355.4' x 49.2' x 22.4' 2016 net, 3839 gross, 5870 dwt.
Built by A. McMillan & Son, Dumbarton, Yard No. 737, For British and
African Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. Registered Liverpool.
B&W Oil Engine 4SCSA 6Cyl. by Harland & Wolff Ltd. Glasgow. 489 bhp, 10
knots.
Passenger accommodation, 12 first class.

1927December, completed.
1933May, transferred to Elder Dempster Lines Ltd.
19402127 net, 3894 gross.
194119th May. In collision with s.s. BEECHVILLE in Loch Ewe.
15th September (Capt. W. Rowlands), bombed and sunk in position
51°.56'N, 05°.58'W
while bound for Liverpool from Douala and Sherbro with West African
produce.
She was sunk when convoy HG72 was attacked by aircraft of Gruppe 406,
Luftflotte 3. She was hit forward in a dive-bomb attack by one of two
250 kg. or 500 kg. HE bombs (reports differ on the size of the bombs)
and set on fire, the other bomb having holed Daru forward when exploding
just off the starboard side, resulting in a heavy list and the loss of
the ship. No lives were lost.
Daru is a district of Sierra Leone.

He has also sent me a photo of this ship which I will be pleased to pass
on to you and anyone else interested.

Ron Mapplebeck
Middlesbrough, U.K.
===