TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2002-02 > 1014727192

Subject: [TSL] Wittman/1856 or 57 Germany
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 07:39:52 EST

Therese, asked .........
I am seeking a Mathias M. Wittman (or variations of the spelling) who
emigrated from Germany in either 1856 or 57
I am wondering if he might have come into Canada as he was in Rochester, NY
area for a time.
I have searched many books and lists and cannot find him. He was born abt.
1833. Any help would be very much appreciated.
********
1854 was the peak year of immigration by Germans into the US, with about
215,000. Not many Germans went into Canada at that time. most were coming
into New York (about 163,000), and to New Orleans (27,000). Philadelphia had
been the busiest port for early German immigrates.

Did your ancestor become naturalized? I would check for those papers to help
you find information. Rochester is in Monroe County. The LDS has some years
of naturalization applications on film 0983984, Declarations of intention
from 1821-1898 on 0980251, Petitions from 1823-1906 on 1001396. The records
are at the Monroe County Courthouse in Rochester. I would write them.
Monroe County Court House
105 Main Street
Rochester, NY 14614-1408
716-428-5151

Check the Lists of persons departing the port of Hamburg available for
1850-1934, but there is a gap between 1914-1919. The lists are divided into
yearly segments and there are two main parts, a direct list and an indirect
list.
Direct passengers sailed directly from Hamburg to America, whereas indirect
sailed from Hamburg to another Port, for example Liverpool England to
America. There is a separate index for each year.
The exact village of origin is indicated on the passenger list.

Hope this helps

Susanne M. Saether

This thread: