TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2002-02 > 1014770871

From: "William McCallum" <>
Subject: [TSL] 1858 Philadelphia arrival
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:51:10 -0500

Hello,

Though I have looked diligently, I cannot find the ship on which my ancestors came to the USA. Reportedly, they arrived at Philadelphia in 1858. We were never given a month but I suspect it might have been Oct or Nov of 1858. The family reportedly went directly to Madison County, Illinois after their arrival. The family originated from Dalmellington, Ayrshire, Scotland. Do not know the exact port of debarkation either.

The names are:

Archibald McCallum 29 Engine Keeper or Miner (born Ayrshire)
Cecelia McCallum 27 (born Lanarkshire)(married 1852)
John McCallum 5 (b. Ayrshire 1853)
Janet McCallum 3 (ditto 1854)
Mary McCallum 2 (ditto 1856)

Somehow the ship name "Zered" (sic) was mentioned but there is no specific reason for the name.

Any ideas? Please.

Bill and Mary McCallum

This thread: