TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2002-03 > 1016288420

From: Carol Haywood <>
Subject: [TSL] 1850-55, NY port, immigrant policy
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 06:26:33 -0800

Would anyone be aware of a U.S. policy to refuse European immigrants at
the port of New York for a time in 1854 or so? I read about this in a
Germany history online about the effect of the 1847-1852 crop failures.
It said that a number of ships simply headed for a Canadian port instead
because immigration from Canada was still unlimited.
Can anyone confirm this? It could make a difference for me in finding my
(or giving up on finding the immigration record of my) great grandmother
at just that time.
Carol Haywood

This thread: