TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2002-05 > 1020793603

From: Ron Mapplebeck <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] BISN Co Records for the late 1800s
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 18:47:23 +0100

Sue,

Sorry, I can't help you concerning any relevant records. However, I can
tell you a little about the ship BHUNDARA. BISN stands for British India
Steam Navigation Co. Ltd., London, and they were the owners of the
BHUNDARA which was built by William Denny & Bros., Dumbarton (Scotland).
The ship was launched on 19.11.1880 and ran trials on 7.1.1881
(January). She cost £46,250. She served with B.I. until sold on
24.5.1907 to be broken up at Bombay.

This information is from the World Ship Society publication B.I. (ISBN 0
905617 65 7). Incidents noted during her career were that she served as
a (troop) transport to Egypt in 1882 and to Burma in 1885/6. In
September 1887 she struck Twobaga Reef in the Banca Strait and was
repaired at Singapore. She spent most of her life in the East African
trade, although also well known on the Australia run. (British India
ships did not trade, so far as I know, across the Atlantic to
USA/Canada,
etc.). On 9 October 1897 leaving Newcastle, N.S.W., caught by tide and
carried onto barque HIGHLANDS and H.M.S. RAPID which were anchored in
the Hunter River. BHUNDARA bulwarks stove in from forecastle to bridge
and lost three blades from her propeller. Enquiry found that her 2nd
Engineer did not respond promptly to orders from bridge and strong
current took charge of ship before steerage way could be regained. At
the end of that particular voyage there was some further collision in
docking at Bombay on 26.11.1897. In 1898 arrived at Mombasa from Bombay
infected with bubonic plague, and ship moved on to Zanzibar. Her
Commander at that time was a Captain Stebbing. Passengers eventually
allowed to land into quarantine at Prison Island (Changu).

Hope this background information is of some interest.

Ron Mapplebeck
Middlesbrough, U.K.
*****