TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2002-07 > 1026494102

Subject: [TSL] Lawrence Hickey
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:15:02 EDT

Hi, Maureen!

Many, many thanks! I am so grateful for your help with
Laurence/Lawrence Hickey. He's been tough to trace due to conflicting info.
about his arrival. The 1900 census states his year of immigration as 1850,
his obit states he came in 1856 at the time of the Fenian unrest in Ireland
and I had thought that I had found him as a passenger on the Euphemia in
1849. After seeing the entries you provided I think that the Laurence Hickey
on the Euphemia is "our man." It's the closest one in age and I had found
two men by the name of Luby on the Euphemia whom I believe were uncles to
Laurence. It also lists a sister, Margaret Hickey, which was the name of
Laurence's mother so this is the best probability. The other two (Anthony
Kilbane and George Scully) have been very challenging also. I think Anthony
and his wife Cecilia "Sibby" Mc Bain/Mc Bane probably immigrated about
1850-1854 via New York because his eldest son was born on 5-2-1854 in Albany,
NY. The Kilbane name was often misspelled which makes it tough to trace.
Thanks again! You've been extremely helpful! Much appreciated!

Joni Leffler

This thread: