TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2002-07 > 1028043932

From: Sue Swiggum <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] Ships from Hull to America - May 1880
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:52:12 -0300

Hi Sherry,

Here are the ships to Canada sailing at the right time for you...

Reel# Ship Name Departure Arrival
C-4530 PERUVIAN Liverpool, England 1880-05-20 Quebec, Que. 1880-06-01
(MTL) Montreal Ocean Steamship Company (Allan Line) List Number: 23;
Captain W.H. Smith; partly faded manifest
C-4530 DOMINION Liverpool, England 1880-05-20
Belfast, Ireland 1880-05-21 Quebec, Que. 1880-06-03
(DOM) Dominion Line List Number: 24; Captain A. Reid
C-4530 MANITOBAN Glasgow, Scotland 1880-05-20
Londonderry, Ireland 1880-05-21 Quebec, Que. 1880-06-03
(MTL) Montreal Ocean Steamship Company (Allan Line) List Number: 25

The passenger manifest is on Microfilm at the National Archives of Canada
[NAC], in Ottawa. The Ships are placed on the reel, in order of arrival.
You can borrow this reel on an Inter Library Loan [ILL]. You can find the
details for this procedure at this NAC Genealogy Research URL
http://www.archives.ca/02/020202_e.html
You are also able to ILL from Ottawa, to libraries in the US, and outside
North America. These microfilms contain arrivals from ALL ports, they are
not indexed. The LDS do also have copies of this microfilm, their number .....
LDS number 0889451 ~ 1880 ~ port of Quebec

There is a good chance, because of destination, that they did arrive on one
of the ships above, but you might also like to consult the SS&A
http://www.norwayheritage.com/ships/index.asp
Trond Austheim has been creating a database of American ship arrivals
beginning (right now), with March 1870, as reported by telegrams sent back
to Norway, and published in Norwegian newspapers. As Trond mentions, all
ports visited during the trip may not be mentioned, but this is a valuable
resource which is being added to all the time, as Trond finds the record.
It is searchable by year and month of departure.
http://www.norwayheritage.com/arrivals.asp

Good luck!

Sue
--
At 10:17 AM 2002-07-30 -0500, Sherry Miller wrote:
>My great grandparents, Andreas Andersen (age 28), wife Marthe (age 30),
>and daughter Gunda (age 1-1/2) emigrated to America from Norway in
>1880. Their destination was listed as Eau Claire, Wisconsin, actually
>settling in Colfax, Wisconsin. They sailed on the Angelo (Wilson Line)
>from Kristiana to Hull, departing Kristiana May 14, 1880. Based on that
>departure date, it is estimated they probably arrived in Hull on May 16
>and in Liverpool on the 17th, and probably left by boat to America on
>May 19th or 20th.
>
>Could anyone tell me what ships departed Liverpool for America or Canada
>between May 18th to May 23rd, 1880. I am interested in learning the
>name of the ship they sailed on, their port of arrival in the U.S., and
>the date of arrival. I'm finding that records for 1880 are pretty scant
>and have been searching for this info for a long time. Would appreciate
>any help.

Sue & Gery Swiggum
co-owners TheShipsList©
mailto: