TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2002-09 > 1031820620

From: "Ted Finch" <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] Caledonian 1915; Ivernia 1916
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:03:43 +0100

Hello Joanne,

No problem, pleased to help!!

IVERNIA 1899
14,058 gross tons, length 582ft x beam 64.9ft, one funnel, four masts, twin
screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 164-1st, 200-2nd
and 1,600-3rd class passengers.
Built by C. S. Swan & Hunter, Wallsend-on-Tyne (engines by Wallsend Slipway
Co Ld), she was launched for the Cunard Steamship Co on 21st Sep.1899. Her
maiden voyage started on 14th Apr.1900 when she left Liverpool for
Queenstown (Cobh) and New York. She made one further voyage on this route
and on 12th Jun.1900 started her first Liverpool - Queenstown - Boston
sailing. Her last voyage on this service started on 14th Nov.1911 and on
21st Dec.1911 she commenced her first Trieste - Messina - Naples - New York
voyage. On 30th Nov.1912 she resumed Boston - Liverpool voyages, commenced
her last Liverpool - Boston voyage on 18th Mar.1913 and transferred back to
the Trieste - New York service on 29th Apr.1913. Her last sailing between
Trieste, Fiume, Patras, Messina, Naples, Boston and New York started on 28th
Jul.1914 and in Sep.1914 she was taken over as a troopship. She spent much
of the war in the Eastern Mediterranean and on 1st Jan.1917 was torpedoed by
the German submarine UB-47 off Cape Matapan, Greece. She was en route to
Alexandria with 2,400 Scottish troops aboard; of these 85 were drowned,
together with 36 crew. The escorting destroyer HMS RIFLEMAN took off 650 and
the remainder of the survivors were towed in their lifeboats to Crete by
armed trawlers. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor,
vol.1,p.155][Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.12, Cunard Line]

I am having problems with the CALEDONIAN. There was a small passenger ship
with this name owned by the Leyland Line, Liverpool. 4,986 gross tons,
length 426.5ft x beam 50.3ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 12
knots, accommodation for about 20-1st class passengers.
Built 1900 by Caledon Shipbuilding Co., Dundee, she was launched on 3rd
Mar.1900 and started her maiden voyage Dundee to New York on 4th Jun.1900.
After this, she sailed Liverpool to New York or Boston. 1930 scrapped at
Rotterdam. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3,p.987 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

However, I can find no record of this ship's war service or use as a
hospital ship and wonder if this could be Anchor Line's CALEDONIA which did
serve in the Dardanelles.

CALEDONIA 1904
She was a 9,223 gross ton ship, length 500ft x beam 58.3ft, two funnels,
two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. Accommodation for 383-1st,
216-2nd and 829-3rd class passengers.
Built by D & W. Henderson Ltd, Glasgow, she was launched for the Anchor
Line on 22nd Oct.1904. Her maiden voyage started on 25th Mar.1905 when she
sailed from Glasgow for Moville and New York. Her last voyage on this
service started 11th Jul.1914 and in August of that year she became a
troopship. On 8th Aug. she left for Dublin and France and then operated
mainly from Bombay to the Mediterranean with Indian troops. In march 1915
she took part in the Dardanelles campaign and then on the North Atlantic
ferrying Canadian troops to Plymouth. She then returned to the
Mediterranean and on 4th Dec.1916, while en route from Salonika to Malta to
refit, she was torpedoed and sunk by an enemy submarine while 125 miles E
by S of Malta. The captain of the CALEDONIA tried to ram the submarine and
actually struck her, but was taken prisoner and handed over for trial in
Germany. (Captain Fryatt of the BRUSSELS had previously been tried and
executed for a similar act). The Germans were informed that if such an act
occurred, a German officer of similar rank would be shot and Capt. Blaikie
of the CALEDONIA was sent to an officers POW camp.[Merchant Fleets by
Duncan Haws, vol.9, Anchor Line] [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor,
vol.1,p.466]

regards
Ted