TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2002-12 > 1040599095

From: (Harry Dodsworth)
Subject: [TSL] Two parties of Mormons, 1862
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 18:18:21 -0500 (EST)

,

The New York Times occasionally notes parties of Mormons arriving
in New York. In this case, two large groups had arrived close together.
The LDS publish a CD-ROM called the 'Mormon Immigration Index' which
has much information about the ships and the parties that travelled in
them. I must admit I havn't studied it as much as I should.

New York Times, June 2, 1862 (microfilm)

ARRIVAL OF ANOTHER SHIPLOAD OF MORMONS

The ship John J. Boyd arrived here yesterday 39 days from Liverpool,
with 578? Mormons, bound for Utah. They will be landed at Castle
Garden this morning. They are mostly English, Scotch and Irish, and
among them are 139 children. There was very little sickness on the
passage, and the passengers all look remarkably clean and healthy.
The 400 Mormons who arrived in the ship Franklin, on Thursday last,
were discharged from Castle Garden on Saturday, and most of them are
probably now on their way to Salt Lake. They were principally from
Denmark and Sweden.

Arrived New York June 1
Ship John J. Boyd, [captain] Thomas, Liverpool April 23, with mdse and
696 passengers to [agent] John Tyson. Has had ? deaths.

The New York Times of Friday, May 30, omitted the shipping news, and
the arrival of the Franklin was not recorded.

--
Harry Dodsworth Ottawa Ontario Canada