TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2003-02 > 1045497943

From: Sue Swiggum <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] We think England to Canada 1884
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 12:05:43 -0400

At 02:38 PM 2003-02-14 -0500, Robert Barlow wrote:
>I was just informed our gggrandparents came to Canada
>in 1884. I know it is a long haul to look through
>every ship for the year but I would give it a try.
>Can anyone tell me where on line I might find the
>ships lists for 1884
>Thanks
>Rob.
>Tate/Nicolson

Hello Rob,

It is doubtful that you will find what you are looking for, online. Mark
suggested to try the inGeneas online database, but that will only yield
results if they arrived via Halifax ..usually in the winter months.

It will not be too much of a task to search an entire year of Canadian
arrivals. Unlike New York for example, you will not have to search tens of
reels. For Canada 1884

National Archives of Canada: C-4533 & C-4534 for Quebec and C-4512 for Halifax.
(the LDS number below --1884 Quebec on _one_ reel)

The passenger manifest is on Microfilm at the National Archives of
Canada [NAC], in Ottawa. The Ships are placed on the reel, in order of
arrival. You can borrow this reel on an Inter Library Loan [ILL]. You can find
the details for this procedure at this NAC Genealogy Research URL
http://www.archives.ca/02/020202_e.html
You are also able to ILL from Ottawa, to libraries in the US, and
outside North America. These microfilms contain arrivals from ALL ports, they
are not indexed. The LDS do also have copies of this microfilm, their number
LDS number 0889455 ~ 1884 ~ port of Quebec & LDS number 0889430 ~ 1883 to
1884 ~ port of Halifax.

Good luck!

Sue
--