TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2003-07 > 1058398879

From: (Harry Dodsworth)
Subject: [TSL] Five arrivals, NY, November 13, 1851
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:41:25 -0400 (EDT)

New York Daily Times, November 14, 1851 (microfilm)

IMMIGRANTS - The following Immigrant ships arrived at this port
yesterday [all from Liverpool]
Ship Telamon 561
Ship Martha J. Ward 400
Ship Emma Fields 429
Ship Constance 600
Ship Universe 600
Total 2,590

The Constance was reported as the Constantine in the arrival notices.
I think Constantine was the correct spelling.

As TSL has had questions about the Telamon and the Martha J. Ward,
I copied the five arrival notices - all barebones.

New York Daily Times, November 14, 1851 (microfilm)
Arrived November 13.

Packet ship Universe, [captain] Bird, Liverpool, Oct 11, mdse and
600 passengers to [agents] Williams & Guion.

Ship Telaman [sic] (of Thomaston,) Snow, Liverpool, Oct. 15,
mdse and 561 passengers to Nesmith & Son.

Ship Constantine, Bunting, Liverpool. Oct. 11, mdse and 600 pass.,
to Grinnell, Minturn & Co. The C. experienceed several heavy gales
in lat 50N., split sails etc.

Ship Martha J. Ward, Scott, Liverpool, 40 ds, mdse and 400 passengers
to J. O. Ward.

Ship Emma Fields (of Bath), Snow, Liverpool, 28 ds., mdse and 429
passengers to master [acting as agent]. Died on board, W. L. Baker,
seaman, of Baltimore.

The NYT listed the master's name of both the Telamon and the Emma Fields
as being Snow. The master of the Martha J. Ward was recorded as Scott;
other references to this ship record the master as Trott so Scott may be
an error by the NYT.

--
Harry Dodsworth Ottawa Ontario Canada