TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2003-11 > 1068565567

From: Sue Swiggum <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] QUESTION ABOUT ELLIS ISLAND MANIFESTS
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:46:07 -0400

At 10:32 AM 2003-11-11 -0600, ROE GOFFREDO wrote:
>HELLO LIST;
> I have a question about the manifest on Ellis Island site I have
> found my grandmothers sister Celia Lee, coming to USA on May 7th
> 1920 with her, she had become a citzen thru marriage, Written over her
> sisters name Celia were these numbers 11-233169-11/29/39 also 4-598 does
> anyone know what this means? I am trying to trace her for family tree and
> i have no records that I can find after that enty I know she went to my
> grandmothers house, but after that brick wall. Don't know if she married,
> or not .Can someone maybe help me, maybe these #'s mean something and I
> can trace from there, just don't know what they are
>Thanks
>Roe

Hello Roe,

These are correspondence file numbers, a date November 29th 1939 and what
looks like a naturalization verification number. In 1939 district 4 was . .
4
Washington, DC,
later BALTIMORE
DC, MD (except Allegany and Garrett Co.), NC, TN, VA, Eastern WV

The position on the page of the annotions, also has meaning, so it is best
if you check here.

Manifest Markings A Guide to Interpreting Passenger List Annotations
http://www.jewishgen.org/InfoFiles/Manifests/

Sue
--
TheShipsList Website