TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2004-03 > 1079068278

From: Cindy Marie Creekmore <>
Subject: [TSL] children
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 01:12:27 -0400

I found this information on the internet:

Between 1869 and the early 1930s, over 100,000 children were sent to Canada
from Great Britain during the child emigration movement. Members of the
British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa are locating and
indexing the names of these Home Children found in passenger lists in the
custody of the National Archives of Canada.

Can anyone tell me WHY these kids were shipped to Canada? Were they
orphans? streetrats? no parents? What the heck was the deal, and
couldn't they have been found a place in England???

This thread: