TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2004-05 > 1084927009

From: (Harry Dodsworth)
Subject: Ismalia, Trieste to New York, 1872
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 20:37:00 -0400 (EDT)

,

I found this voyage report while looking for something else.
The Ismalia (or Ismailia) belonged to the Anchor Line, who operated
routes out of Glasgow, and also Mediterranean to New York sailings.
This was rather an unusual route, and was also early for Italian
emigration. It was uncommon for passenger liners to engage in salvage.
I wonder why a ship from Gibraltar to New York would be off Nantucket?

New York Times, April 19, 1872
Arrived New York April 18
Steam-ship Ismalia (Br.,) [captain] Brown, Trieste, Mar 9,
Messina 13th, Leghorn 17th, Naples 18th, Palermo 22nd and Gibraltar
29th with mdse and 64 passengers to [agents] Henderson Bros.
Experienced strong westerly winds during the entire passage: April 16
6 A.M., off Nantucket sighted a dismasted vessel, which proved to be
the Alice Tarlton, (of Surinam,) took her in tow, and brought her
to New York.

The NYT also had an arrival report for the Alice Tarlton (no mention
that she was in distress - she had taken 36 days from Portland, Maine
to Nantucket, if the NYT got the months right!)

Bark Alice Tarlton, (of Surinam) [captain] Conners, Portland, March 11
with shooks for Matanzas - vessel consigned to Miller and Houghton.

--
Harry Dodsworth Ottawa Ontario Canada