TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2004-09 > 1095944769

From: "Lorine McGinnis Schulze" <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] need look-up please
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:06:09 -0400

On 22 Sep 2004 at 20:55, b.b wrote:

> Hi:
> I am trying to find out the dates and ships for three of my
> ancestors who all came to the U.S. in the same year from
> Germany. The names are: ANTON ZENS, Frank klinkhammer, PAUL
> BACH. All came in the year 1881 into New York. Any help
> will be appreciated.

Ships passenger lists to New York are not indexed from
1847-1892. (although a CD ROM does provide an index to
1850) So you may have trouble finding anyone to have a look
through an entire year's worth of lists :-)

Passenger lists *are* available on microfilm so if you know
a date of arrival or a ship name you can order the
microfilm
or have NARA
do a lookup for you.

For a complete list of film numbers (NARA or FHC) for ships
going to New York after 1820, see

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/filmnos_newyork.shtml

Find your date (year, month, day if known) and write down
the NARA or Family History Centre film number you need.

The staff of the National Archives will undertake a search
of the original records for a fee. You can order National
Archives (NARA) forms online at

http://www.archives.gov/global_pages/inquire_form.html

You might also want to check my ongoing project to fill in
the 1847-1892 index gap for passenger arrival records in
New
York.

This project consists of 3 sets of records:

1. NY Times extracts for ship arrivals and passenger names

2. Images (and some accompanying transcripts) of actual
passenger lists in this time period

3. NY Almshouse records for 1855-1858

The complete index of NY Times years and shipping news
extracts is at
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/nytimes.htm

You can also search the NY Times online for a small fee
through other sites. There are links at the above URL.

Images of ships passenger lists for these Unindexed NY
years are online at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/

The Almshouse Records start at
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/ny_alms1855.htm

Also check online ships and links to ships in this time
period at
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tousa_ny182549.shtml

Good luck
Lorine
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/filmnos_newyork.shtml
NARA & FHC film numbers for NY passenger lists after 1820

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tousa_ny.shtml
Passenger Lists to New York all years

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/searchnyships.shtml
Search Engine for online Internet Passenger Lists to NY

This thread: