TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2004-09 > 1095944769

From: "Lorine McGinnis Schulze" <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] need look-up please
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:06:09 -0400

On 22 Sep 2004 at 20:55, b.b wrote:

> Hi:
> I am trying to find out the dates and ships for three of my
> ancestors who all came to the U.S. in the same year from
> Germany. The names are: ANTON ZENS, Frank klinkhammer, PAUL
> BACH. All came in the year 1881 into New York. Any help
> will be appreciated.

Ships passenger lists to New York are not indexed from
1847-1892. (although a CD ROM does provide an index to
1850) So you may have trouble finding anyone to have a look
through an entire year's worth of lists :-)

Passenger lists *are* available on microfilm so if you know
a date of arrival or a ship name you can order the
or have NARA
do a lookup for you.

For a complete list of film numbers (NARA or FHC) for ships
going to New York after 1820, see

Find your date (year, month, day if known) and write down
the NARA or Family History Centre film number you need.

The staff of the National Archives will undertake a search
of the original records for a fee. You can order National
Archives (NARA) forms online at

You might also want to check my ongoing project to fill in
the 1847-1892 index gap for passenger arrival records in

This project consists of 3 sets of records:

1. NY Times extracts for ship arrivals and passenger names

2. Images (and some accompanying transcripts) of actual
passenger lists in this time period

3. NY Almshouse records for 1855-1858

The complete index of NY Times years and shipping news
extracts is at

You can also search the NY Times online for a small fee
through other sites. There are links at the above URL.

Images of ships passenger lists for these Unindexed NY
years are online at

The Almshouse Records start at

Also check online ships and links to ships in this time
period at

Good luck
NARA & FHC film numbers for NY passenger lists after 1820
Passenger Lists to New York all years
Search Engine for online Internet Passenger Lists to NY

This thread: