TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2005-08 > 1123693595

From: "Murray Jones" <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] City of Glasgow
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:06:35 -0600

Hello fellow listers

As I mentioned in an earlier posting I found the the following relatives on
http://www.castlegarden.org/ :

Arrival Location: Castle Garden, NY
Arrival Date: 1851-01(Jan.)-03
Origin: Ireland
Ship: City Of Glasgow
First name Last name Occupation Age Sex
MR W.C. WINDLE Clergyman, Reverend 32 M
MRS. W.C. WINDLE Lady 26 F

On www.theshipslist.com/ it states in part, "She [City Of Glasgow] was then
purchased by the Inman Line and commenced Liverpool - Philadelphia sailings
on 11th Dec.1850."

Would I be correct in assuming, dangerous I know, that the departure date of
Dec. 11, 1850 would be for the crossing with the arrival date of Jan. 3,
1850 in America? Also would the ship have stopped in Ireland en route from
Liverpool to Philadelphia? And finally, what is the connection between
Castle Garden and Philly? Would the ship have stopped in NY for immigration
purposes and then proceeded to Castle Garden?

I am still hoping to get a copy of original ship manifest to get a copy of
the WINDLE entries and the first page with crossing details. But they are
apparently only available on microfilm at the Battery Conservancy. I guess
NARA may also be a possibility.

Thanks and have a great day.

Murray Jones
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada