TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2006-10 > 1161051769

From: "Wendy Brown" <>
Subject: [TSL] Orphaned at sea
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:22:49 +0800

Hello List

I am a new subscriber and like everyone else, hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am looking for information on ships that docked in England from India in 1881-1882.

My grandfather, Charles BROWN and his older brother were orphaned at sea when their mother died on board ship coming to England from (we presume) India. This would have been around 1881-1882 as my grandfather was born in 1875 or 1876 and remembers being "about 6" at the time he saw his mother laid out in the hold "with her black hair all around". His father was a James BROWN, soldier, who died in India, where my grandfather was born.

Unfortunately I don't know the name of his mother (maybe, just maybe, it was Ellen) and family stories have it that his brother's name was Frederick. Apart from that we know nothing of them except that my grandfather went to "Anerley School", the common name for the North Surrey District School (a workhouse) in Penge, where he trained to be a baker.

I am trying to find out where I could find information that might help me get more facts on this family.

--- I have searched the Registrar General of Seamen and Shipping for a record of the death at sea with no success.

---I have searched the mirofilms held by the LDS of births in all three Presidencies of India also with no success.( My grandfather never had a birth certificate, which made it difficult for him when he retired in the UK and wanted to get a pension!)

--- I have searched the records held by the PRO for Anerley School and although there were several Charles BROWNs there during that period, I can not positively identify one of them as my grandfather and haven't been able to locate his brother at all.

I feel as though the best chance I have is to track down the ships that docked in England that came from India in 1881-1882 and then search all of them for their passenger lists.

Did they have passenger lists?

Were there immigration records?

I don't even know where they would have docked so if someone has that piece of information, I would be most grateful.......to add even a small piece to this puzzle would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Wendy Brown
Perth
Western Australia