TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2007-01 > 1168458940

Subject: Re: [TSL] schooners - Havre or Hubbard? Lake Huron 1845
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:55:46 -0600

Hello,

I am actually searching for info on my ggggrandparents. They left port Le Havre,
France and docked at the port of New York, on the ship Silvie De Grasse,
according to Castle Garden records, 24 March 1845. My ggggrandfather is listed
as 28 years old.

My question is this: I am trying to find out what ship/schooner/boat they took
to ultimately wind up in Wisconsin. I know that they left the port of New York
and came here via the Great Lakes. I also know that the vessel they were on
sprung a leak and went down in Lake Huron [according to a local history done on
Dodge County, Wisconsin]. I think I have nailed it down to 2 possibilities: the
Havre [Schooner] - stranded on Middle Island 11/1845 ; or the H.Hubbard
[Schooner] - foundered off of Thunder Bay Island June 1845. I have not been
successful in finding any other information regarding Huron shipwrecks in 1845.

I was wondering if there is a possibility that there were any lists that may
have had their names so that I can try to track their movements from New York,
through the Great Lakes, until they finally ended up in Wisconsin? I have
tried many different sources, but have as yet been unsuccessful in finding this
specific information.

Thank you for your time in considering my questions!
-Giulia Caspari

This thread: