TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2007-01 > 1170185658

From: Marj Kohli <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] ship info
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:34:18 -0500

The London Times of Jan 27, 1864 in Ship News lists the Bon Accord
Deal, Jan. 26
Anchored.--...the Bon Accord, from London for Liverpool.

Times of Jan 18, 1866 Ship News lists
Liverpool, Jan. 17.
Wind, S.S.W.
Arrived--the Bon Accord, from Madras.

The Times of Jan 9, 1867 reported on a terrible Gale with many lost ships.
Can you give me your ggf's name so I can check and see if he is mentioned?

The Mary Waugh is listed in the Times of Aug 25, 1856 in the Ship News
Deal, August 24
Arrived and Passed.--The Mary Waugh, from the West Indies

Times of Wed Aug 30, 1854:

Dundee Shipping.--We believe there is at present a greater amount of new
tonnage fitting out in our docks than at any former period, as will be
found by the following list:--The ship Whilwind, of 1,003 tons register;
the ship Bengal, of 850; the bark Euxine, of 443; the brig Mary Waugh, of
245; and the schooner Mimmie Dike, of 127 tons,--all lately launched here,
and, with one exception, belonging to Dundee owners, which will make a
considerable addition to the tonnage of the port. These vessels are
considered very fine models;...

I could not find anything on the Moulin but the Times of Jan 1, 1861 lists

Arrivals at Demerara from British Ports.--Nov. 29, The bark Bellona, Jump,
from Liverpool.

She is listed again Dec 6, 1861:
Deal, Dec. 5.
Passed.--...the Bellona, from Demerara for London.

Again on Dec 30, 1861:
Gravesend, Dec. 28.
9:30 a.m.--Wind. E.; high water; fine.
8 p.m.--Wind, W; tide, fourth hour's flood; weather, fine.
No arrivals.
Sailed.--The Bellona, for Demerara

There is an item in the Jan 20, 1862 Times of a Bellona being wrecked off
...The Bellona has been totally wrecked in Dundrum Bay, and three lives
have been lost.

It says James O'Neill was the owner and master bound for Liverpool -- if
this is your ship let me know and I will copy the item for you.

Times of Apr 24, 1862 lists:

Vessels Spoken With.
The Bellona, from Shields for Alexandria, April 15, 35 N., 3 W.

In the Oct 22, 1862 Times there is a report on a gale and "the Bellona, of
Drammen, foremast, foretop, topgallantmast, and maintopmast carried away,
and otherwise damaged;...