TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2007-01 > 1170205589

From: "Cheryl Williams" <>
Subject: [TSL] In Awe
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:06:29 -0800

Marj and Sue,
I am subscribed to the . and get all of the requests that are forwarded to you. I am absolutely in AWE of the abundance of information you are able to forward to people. You are amazing!

It has me wondering if there is anyway you can help me with my "brick wall" of 25 years.

The furthest I can trace back is Richard Robinson born in 1715 Eng/Scot, wife UNK. He made a hasty departure from the British Isles that was occasioned by the Jacobite activity, together with his wife and daughter Julia. I would say his departure was a matter of utmost expediency.

Their point of departure and their place of arrival in the year 1740 are unknown. However, it is known that their voyage took 90 days. They had sailed only a week when they encountered a tumultuous storm and had to return to Holland for the ship to be overhauled.

At sea, a son, Charles I was born but his frail mother died in childbirth and her body was consigned to the Atlantic Ocean. Records of her name or her family have not been found. The date of her marriage to Richard Robinson is recorded as 1737 in the family Bible.

Richard became an Indian Fur Trader; his field of operation was Vermont and eastern New York. Julia and Charles left and changed their name to Robison. Richard had other families (2).

I noticed there was a Richard Robinson, Capt. on on of the sailing vessels on the IGTG. Now, wouldn't that be a kick!!!

My question is, is there any way to get ships names or passenger lists from the 1700's? (Long story for a short question, right?)

'Preciate ANY help you could give me, even if to direct my searches.

Thank you, Cheryl

This thread: