TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2007-01 > 1170209938

From: Marj Kohli <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] "Star" ship
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:18:58 -0500

Candace

Did some more poking around in the 1849 British Parliamentary Papers (BPP)

There is a letter dated 24 April, 1849 which states:

In fact, the emigration of 1847 left a lasting impression on the mind of
the Legislature here, and most unfortunately the condition of the emigrants
whom I believe to have been sent from Earl Fitzwilliam's estate by the ship
"Star," and who were consigned to the St. Andrew's and Quebec Railway
Company last season [1848], has been such as to increase any feeling of alarm.

These poor people were not properly selected in all respects; many were
infirm, and a very large proportion arrived in a pitiable state of
sickness. Whilst the Assembly was sitting, some of them came up to
Fredericton to solicit assistance, as they were at that moment (about six
weeks ago), turned off by the railway company. They had already received a
great deal of aid from the province, and many of them are at this moment in
urgent want, in the streets of St. Andrew's.

I have no reason to attribute to our agent there any want of proper
caution, for I sent a person down a very short time since to inspect their
condition, and his report coincided with the information already received.

In short, this one ship load of emigrants has already cost the province
upwards of 600L currency (500L sterling), at least double what the ship
paid as emigrant tax. Nor is the charge yet terminated; for, in consequence
of a fresh account of their destitution, I yesterday directed a fresh
advance to be made for their temporary relief. In the present state of
commercial depression there is no work for them, and the legal conditions
by which the Government is bound, prevent our settling them on land, even
if such resource were of any avail (which it could not be), to meet their
immediate wants.

-----
There is also a petition of John Burns/Byrne...

There is more if you want it just let me know.

Marj