TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2007-04 > 1177466813

From: "MaryWilf" <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] Port of entry Records for Port Huron Michigan 1861
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:07:47 -0400

I cannot help with immigration details abot Port Huron but I can give some
information which may be of help. First of all the name 'Port Huron" a bit
of a red herring in that ir is not really a port in the sense of being a
destination like NYC or Halifax. It was only a port when there were small
sailing vessels on Lake Huron.

The Canadian National Railway built a route from Toronto to London ON and
then on to Sarnia On. They then dug a tunnel under the st. Clair River to
port Huron MI. Under the Grand Trunk name they then went on to Chigaco.

This meant that immigrants landing in Quebec ports, or even the Mritimes,
could get on a train and travel directly to the US midwest. A combinatio of
Amtrak/Via Rail still made this trip until a few years ago.

In short there was probably never any formal procedure at Port Huron
probably being done when the ship arrived in Canada. (My speculation)

wi;f Tarbet in SW ON on the Canadian side of the border.