TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2008-02 > 1203786680

From: "Arvid Hardin HATM" <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] Edmonton, ALB,CAN to London 1914 ??
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:11:20 -0700

Hello from Edmonton Canada;

I had assumed for some time that Edmonton got it's name from someplace in
the UK. Good to know now where, thanks.

There are Alberta Provincial Archives that provide some listings of
residences and the National Archives of Canada.

At the time of the travel about 1914, the main passenger rail service was
provided by Canadian Pacific Railways through Calgary, about 300 km south of
Edmonton. And there was a rail link from Strathcona (on the south bank of
North Saskatchewan River that flows through Edmonton). Strathcona became art
of Edmonton later.

There was also a competing rail line running through Edmonton with links to
Winnipeg, The Grand Trunk Pacific or Great Northern. Those lines went
bankrupt not long after their corporate leader, Mr. Hayes, died in the
Titanic sinking. So I'm not sure if they were operating at that time. A
number of rail lines were amalgamated into what is now Cdn National Rail
(CN).

Both CP and CN lines run through Winnipeg and directly on to Ottawa and
Montreal with spurs south down to Toronto and then on to Montreal. Lines
continued on through to Quebec City and Halifax.

There is a book about the construction of the CP by Pierre Burton,
unfortunately I've forgotten the name.

Arvid